« Home | The end is near » | After the fact » | Journal Entries: 4/4 to 4/16 » | New Photos » | Journal Entries: 3/25 to 4/3 » | Stuck in bed » | Journal Entries: 3/18-3/24 » | First Week on the Trail » | Plane ticket » | Test » 

6.22.2006 

Sweet Maryland I have reached you

I took my last steps on the Goodloe Bryon Memorial Footbridge and stepped into Maryland and looked back over the Potomac river to Harper's Ferry and Loudoun's Heights rising above it and felt extraordinarily happy. I took my pack off. For several moments I wasn't sad at all, but then I realized it was over. I looked down at my boots, the soles falling off and my feet burning inside them and laughed at them. They look ridiculous. I took them off and slid my socks off and sat with bare feet, flicking ants off my bare skin every few moments. It was only about one in the afternoon and Leah wouldn't come to pick me up until six, so I had some time to hang around town. I still felt entirely conflicted about leaving. Had I done everything I could to keep hiking? Loans? Begging? I could have gone into debt, put off another semester of college and kept going if I wanted.

But I didn't want that. I felt satisfied with 1010 miles behind me. I was in Maryland and I let myself cry silently, without tears. I let my stomach wrench and my face distort. On the Trail life was simple, austere, and eternal. There was always more rocks, more big climbs and big miles, more heat and stench to come. I would miss sweat and constant pain, the fluid motion of hiking, and most of all- my friends, all commiserators.

And then this all faded away. I wrapped the Trail inside me, tucked it away securely in a solemn place and took a nap. When I woke, I was no longer a Thru-hiker but a civilian again.

dearest caveman,
oh how the trail and the trail folk misses you. i browsed a few of your pictures and they sure make the trail look beautiful! i hope that all is well in civilian life. kenny and i are continuing to live the wonderful life of the trail; including a monster thunderstorm last night that made our tent into a waterbed. we miss you. we hope all is well. love,
julia and kenny

Post a Comment

About me

  • The Appalachian Trial

    March-August 2006

    Sole Hiker: Kai Kaapro

    Final Stats

    70 days into the hike

    14.4 average miles per day (includes zeros)

    1010 miles hiked

    5 states hiked: GA-NC-TN-VA-WV->MD

    56 resting heart rate

    180 pounds body weight

    18 sick days

    Status: Going Home

    Final Location: Harper's Ferry, over the Shenandoah in Maryland.

    ----------------------------------- Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers by Dumas, The New Testament

    Read: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, Alive by Piers Paul Read, the Colossus of Maroussi by Henry Miller

    -----------------------------------

    Photos

    6/22 update: New Photos.

    Videos

    6/23 update: New Videos.