« Home | After the fact » | Journal Entries: 4/4 to 4/16 » | New Photos » | Journal Entries: 3/25 to 4/3 » | Stuck in bed » | Journal Entries: 3/18-3/24 » | First Week on the Trail » | Plane ticket » | Test » 

6.10.2006 

The end is near

I am getting off the trail at Harper's Ferry Maryland, the half-way point of the trail. The decision to do so has been excruciating for me and I am still not used to the idea. I will arrive there in about 9 days from now. Nine days! Nine days is a blink of an eye, only 160 miles. My mind is still set on Maine, on the northeast, on over 1000 more miles of trail.

As I was sick and off the trail for almost three weeks, I no longer have the time or money to finish the whole trail in the first place. College at University of Arizona starts August 25th, but orientation is August 16th (about the time I would finish the trail if I kept going). More importantly, I can't afford to continue much longer especially considering my impending tuition.

1009.8 will be my final mileage. The journal entries will be finished and current by July 2nd, so keep checking the blog. After that I am going to compile and edit the whole thing into a word document, so e-mail me at Kaikaapro@gmail.com if you are interested in getting a copy (this will be much later, sometime in August I will finish).

On to Harper's Ferry. Thanks for following and keep reading.

i get to see you in a week!!!!!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • The Appalachian Trial

    March-August 2006

    Sole Hiker: Kai Kaapro

    Final Stats

    70 days into the hike

    14.4 average miles per day (includes zeros)

    1010 miles hiked

    5 states hiked: GA-NC-TN-VA-WV->MD

    56 resting heart rate

    180 pounds body weight

    18 sick days

    Status: Going Home

    Final Location: Harper's Ferry, over the Shenandoah in Maryland.

    ----------------------------------- Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers by Dumas, The New Testament

    Read: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, Alive by Piers Paul Read, the Colossus of Maroussi by Henry Miller

    -----------------------------------

    Photos

    6/22 update: New Photos.

    Videos

    6/23 update: New Videos.